Carpet is a common floor furnishing to many homes, offices, hotels, planes, auditorium, and many more places. Carpet is a popular choice to decorate the floor for some obvious reasons, such as:
- The carpet makes a perfect floor decorating element. There are many varieties of carpet pattern and material available in the market that can bring out a different ambience to the room and accentuate the intended interior design.
- Carpet helps to reduce noise. Especially in commercial premises, it helps to absorb reflecting noise emitted by footsteps from human traffic, ringing phones, printers, etc.
- Carpet keeps the floor warm. This benefit is not practical in tropical country like Singapore as the climate is warm almost throughout the year. But if your premise is fully air conditioned, then it will be nice to walk on instead of walking on a cold, hard floor.
But with any textile furnishings, carpet need continuous maintenance in order to keep it in good condition and ensure indoor air quality is not compromised because carpet is known to trap immeasurable amount of dust and dirt particles, not to mention the micro organisms like dust mites, mold, bacteria, etc.
Ideally, carpet should be professionally cleaned at least once a year, depend on the human traffic walking on the carpet, to ensure that it is thoroughly cleaned and maintained. But, in between the in-depth professional carpet cleaning schedules, there are a few DIY carpet cleaning steps which you can practice to maintain the carpet’s condition:
- Vacuum carpet at least once in 3 days, depending on the traffic condition. This is the most important step which you need to adhere diligently to upkeep the carpet condition. Huge amount of fine particles are brought into the carpet pile every day so regular vacuuming helps to minimize the amount of accumulated dirt particles instead of letting them to pile up within the carpet while waiting for the next in-depth carpet cleaning schedule. This negligence will become an indoor air hazard which will cause serious harm to health.
- Always attend to any stain on the carpet immediately. Do not allow any stain remain on the carpet as the longer the stain stays on the carpet, the more difficult it will be to remove the stain.
- Never rub when you attempt to remove stain on the carpet. Rubbing tends to spread the stain to a wider spot and you may also risk damaging the it. Always blot whenever attempting to remove stain on the carpet. Start from the outer edge of the stain and work on the stain using a clean white cloth towards the centre.
- If stain can’t be removed by blotting with water, blot the stain with diluted vinegar. If you prefer to use some form of foam, mix a tablespoon of mild dishwashing detergent with 2 cups of water and agitate the detergent solution till foams are formed. Blot the stain using the foam. Do not wet the carpet with the foam solution or you may risk damaging the carpet if it is not dried sufficiently.
- Always dry damp or wet carpet immediately by using hair dryer or by sprinkling some baking powder to absorb the moisture. Mold and mild dew tend to thrive within damp carpet. Moisture in the carpet also encourages the growth of bacteria and other micro organism.
- If you are looking for carpet shampoo or stain removal product from DIY store, always try the new product on a hidden spot first. In fact, ideally, it is advisable to check for recommended carpet cleaning shampoo or stain removal by your carpet installer or carpet retailer to ensure that the product used is safe for your carpet. If you are not sure, then leave the job to professional carpet cleaners who are equipped with the necessary products and trained to handle difficult stains.